My girlfriend, Marianne, has made this potato salad for me a couple of times and I’m always so pleasantly surprised of it’s lightness. I have never been a fan of mustard/mayonnaise potato salad. Omitting the mayo and mustard and instead using rice vinegar and sesame oil lightens this traditionally nap-inducing side dish. Adding lemongrass and ginger gives it an exotic upgrade. Marianne was nice enough to share her recipe.
- 2 lbs red potatoes, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 teaspoons peeled, minced lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño pepper, de-seeded and minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup diced chives
- 2 tablespoons torn, fresh cilantro
Clean potatoes, leaving skin on, and place in large saucepan. Fill pan with cold water until potatoes are covered. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
Combine all above ingredients, EXCEPT the cilantro and chives, in a large bowl, whisking well to incorporate all. Add potatoes to whisked mixture and toss gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
When ready to serve, garnish with cilantro and chives. Collect accolades.
Print This Recipe!