My good friend, beautiful Melissa, recently moved and held a housewarming party. I wanted to bring something different and fun. Knowing she’s a vegetarian, I opted for a “meal in a jar” of curried lentil soup. It looks impressive and is helpful to new homeowners for throwing together a quick meal. Step 1.) pick out a pretty jar (3/4 liter size is recommended) and you are halfway to making your soupy housewarming present. (Melissa, FYI, it’s recommended you hand wash these fancy French jars.) Step 2.) Simply layer lentils, alternating colors, then sun dried tomatoes, chili pepper, spices and bay leaves. Step 3.) tie a ribbon on it, make a recipe card and you are good to go!
We moved about the same time Melissa moved and we have been renovating our kitchen for the past 3 weeks. It’s been trying (I type this as I sit in my office amongst every single kitchen item I own surrounding me on the floor) but also going smashingly and I can’t wait to publish some before and after photos. After years of cooking on electric stoves (ok, the induction cooktop WAS pretty nice, I’m not going to lie), I’m finally getting my dream kitchen, complete with a gorgeous gas range and electric stove combo that I’ve always wanted!!! I’m seriously looking forward to cooking with FIRE.
Curried Lentil Soup in a Jar (inspired by Food Network)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 3/4 liter sized jar
- 1 cup green lentils (divided)
- 1 cup yellow lentils (divided)
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes, not oil-packed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 good pinch of chile pepper flakes
- 1 dried chile pepper
- 2 bay leaves
Directions for layering jar:
- Place 1/2 cup of green lentils alternating with 1/2 cup of yellow lentils until 4 layers of lentils are made.
- Next place the sun-dried tomatoes on top of the yellow lentil layer.
- Mix the chile pepper flakes with the curry and turmeric powders and pour into a small zip-top bag. Layer the spice bag, chile pepper and bay leaves on top of the sun-dried tomatoes.
Ingredients needed by gift receiver for Curried Lentil Soup:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed
- salt, to taste
- Heat the butter in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the smashed garlic cloves and onion. Let sauté for 6 minutes.
- Add the contents of the spice bag, the bay leaves and chile pepper from the Curried Lentil Soup mix and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the soup mix and 8 cups water or vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer and let simmer until the lentils are soft, about 1 hour.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread or pita!