I sit and type this post from one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Not even lying folks, this is my current view:
I’m both lucky and unlucky enough to have a sister who lives in Big Sky, Montana. I’m lucky, because it’s truly a beautiful evergreen gem of a place to visit; a quaint ski village nestled into the Gallatin mountain range amongst picturesque rivers, valleys, and snow-capped peaks. Big Sky is a forty minute drive from Yellowstone National Park! I’m unlucky, because boy oh boy is it ever a trek to get here; and because of this I might only see my sissy and her fam once a year at best. My parents opted to rent Das Trout Haus through my sister’s work and asked me and The Hubs if we felt like vacationing. One look at the Trout Haus and wow, what an amazing place to stay, of course we’d love to go!! This house located right on the Gallatin River, which is like 20 paces from the back deck.
An avid fly-fisherman, Big Sky might very well be my brother Bob’s favorite place on earth; as this place is a total mecca for anglers with fly rods. He couldn’t make the trip this time around, but I made sure his bean salad did! Bob often whips up this summer salad and serves it on his pontoon boat, back home.
Super simple and packed with tons protein and flavor, your whole family will totally love this salad! Plus this recipe is no-bake, so open cans of beans, chop a few items, toss with dressing and eat!
First, rinse and drain the beans in a colander.
Once drained, combine the olive oil, dijon, red wine vinegar and sugar in a small bowl. Whisk until well blended and set aside. In a large bowl, place the beans and the remaining ingredients.
Spoon 3 tablespoons of the dressing overtop of the salad, then taste. Use more dressing if desired. Sprinkle generously with a large pinch of salt and freshly cracked pepper.
Bob’s Bean Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yields: Approximately 4 cups
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can white kidney beans, (cannellini) rinsed
- 4 green onions, green and white parts, diced
- 1/3 cup diced peperoncini peppers
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse beans and set aside in colander to drain.
- Whisk olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard and sugar together in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, green onion, peperoncini peppers and dill. Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of the dressing overtop the salad and mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Salt & pepper to taste and add more dressing if desired. Reserve remaining dressing covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Serve with grilled chicken and a nice chilled pinot grigio!