I’m not a fan of the Kentucky Derby or horse racing in general. However, knowing my bff’s sister who is a jockey plus my own sister who is a horse whisperer, I figure I’m definitely six degrees of separation away from the winning horse. It’s simple math, really. In honor of the Kentucky Derby this year, I’ve created my own version of the mint julep and added basil. I love basil and usually have live basil on my countertop year round. My potted applemint from last year is already growing like gangbusters so after purchasing a bottle of Bulleit bourbon, I had all the ingredients I needed!
To make your simple syrup, take half a cup of sugar and one cup of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until all the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the stove and set aside so it can cool, because no one wants to drink a hot julep. The next step is muddling.
Grab a partner (you know, because interaction is more fun) and make them muddle together 2 jiggers of simple syrup with 8 mint leaves and 4 basil leaves.
Pour 4 full jiggers of bourbon in with the rest of the contents of the shaker. (Yes, it’s true, the julep is a stiffy so make sure you stay put if you plan on having one!) Stir and strain into two ice filled glasses. You are welcome!
Basil Mint Julep
Prep time: 10 minutes
Makes: 2 drinks
Print This Recipe!
- Cocktail shaker
- Cocktail strainer
- 4 jiggers of bourbon (that’s 6 ounces, y’all)
- 2 jiggers of simple syrup (3 ounces – see below for simple syrup recipe)
- 4 basil leaves
- 8 mint leaves
- 3 cups crushed ice
- Add simple syrup plus mint and basil leaves to cocktail shaker.
- Muddle until well crushed. Add bourbon to cocktail shaker contents and stir well.
- Fill cocktail glasses with ice and strain julep into glasses.
- Serve with a sprig of mint or basil, or both!